Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The BEST Vegetarian Pizza Ever!









I just made the best vegetarian pizza ever! I am so full yet I am still salivating just thinking about it! It all started when my new box of fresh produce arrived at my door. Anyone else use a similar service? It’s awesome. Every few weeks a giant box of organic produce magically arrives at my door. In this last box there was a bag of purple potatoes. I knew I had to do something fun with them so this recipe was born.  




seriously, aren't they gorgeous? 




The BEST vegetable pizza EVER!
Whole wheat crust (I used the pre-made dough kind from trader joes) 
3 heaping tablespoons of Pesto (once again I used the pre-made kind from trader joes)
10 small Mozzarella balls (I bought the kind in olive oil with garlic and spices)
2 table spoons (or more) Gorgonzola cheese 
¼ cup Candied walnuts (I bought the pre-made kind on the salad isle – noticing a trend here?)
1 large Kale leaf  
Sautéed mushrooms (recipe to follow) 
15 sundried tomatoes
3 small purple potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (which you will reduce)    

Sautéed mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of dill

While your dough rests for 20 minutes preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Next, sauté your mushrooms. Put the balsamic and the olive oil in a pan with the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are browned which should take about 10 minutes on medium heat. Once done, add the dill and give a quick stir before taking off of the heat. The main goal is you want to make sure you cook the moisture is out of the mushrooms, otherwise it will make your pizza soggy. 


Once your dough is done resting stretch it out over the pizza pan and then top with your pesto.



Next you are ready to flatten your mozzarella balls.


Now you are ready to add the rest of your toppings,

Lastly take a brush and brush your crust with olive oil. 
Put it in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes.

While your pizza is baking reduce your balsamic in the same pan you made your mushrooms in. It is super easy. Just bring you balsamic to a boil over medium heat. Once it is boiling turn down to a simmer and stir occasionally until it is reduced by half.

When your pizza comes out of the oven top with the reduced balsamic and enjoy every bite! YUM!! 


                                                             Now that's a pretty pizza!
ENJOY!


Just in case anyone is wondering how I get this done with a toddler, here is a sneak peak into my kitchen ;) He is a pretty cute sous-chef… not so much on the helpful side yet but I imagine that will change with time!! It is NEVER too early to cook with your kids! It makes them less picky and I know my husband can't help me with dinner but I know this little one will one day!



2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely AMAZING!! Yes, those are gorgeous! I don't think I have seen purple potatoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of them but when I googled them it appears they are quite common but are usually held in smaller quantities since they don't have as high of a demand as regular potatoes. It appears they are also higher in antioxidants (I have not verified this though.) I saved a couple to grow in my garden.

    ReplyDelete